The Wanderer by Sharon Creech is the intriguing tale of a teenage girl named Sophie. After much effort on her part, she is able to beg her way onto a voyage with her adoptive mother's three brothers and two nephews. The group then sails across the ocean to England in a 45 foot long boat to visit the uncles' father, Bompie. While en-route, Sophie tells the others Bompie's stories, which everyone finds very strange. How can Sophie know the stories of a man she never met? How is it that she thinks that her adoptive parents are her real parents, and that Bompie is her grandfather? Does anyone even know what happened to her biological parents? Told through the journals of Sophie and her "cousin" Cody, The Wanderer depicts the happening of the voyage that will either make them a family, or kill them all.
This book is very real and exciting. The author does a good job of making the characters real. By the end of the book I loved every one of them. One of my favorite parts of this book is how it encourages you to be yourself, even when other people try to make you change. Acceptance, self confidence, family, and love are some of the main themes in this book. I really enjoyed this book, and I give it an 8 out of 10. You should read it!
This book is very real and exciting. The author does a good job of making the characters real. By the end of the book I loved every one of them. One of my favorite parts of this book is how it encourages you to be yourself, even when other people try to make you change. Acceptance, self confidence, family, and love are some of the main themes in this book. I really enjoyed this book, and I give it an 8 out of 10. You should read it!